Custom-made pre-preg orthoses
Easy Walk® CUSTOM – this is how we call our central fabrication service of custom-made pre-preg carbon fibre orthoses in Ortho Baltic. It was developed by merging our expertise in central fabrication of orthopaedic products with the long-term production know-how of prefabricated „drop-foot“ orthoses from pre-preg carbon fibre.
Coming from automobile and aviation industries, pre-preg carbon fibre is becoming widely recognized as a superb material in orthopaedics due to the excellent physical characteristics, elevating the final product to the currently unsurpassable level of functionality and comfort. Furthermore, carbon fibre products have much higher fatigue limits than those made of other materials, i.e. their properties are diminishing much less during the wear. Consequently, the orthoses are more durable and stay functional significantly longer, providing maximum assistance for the patient.
Today, our custom-made carbon fibre orthoses are already well-known because of their quality. The whole range of lower limb orthoses are available: FO (Foot Orthosis), AFO (Ankle Foot Orthosis), KO (Knee Orthosis), and complicated KAFO (Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis).
Comparing with foot orthoses from traditional materials, advantages of our custom-made pre-preg carbon fibre orthoses are remarkable:
- Combining two types of carbon fibres in different layout patterns, almost any shape can be realized and flexion characteristics obtained. The final product provides required stiffness, while staying thin enough to fit into everyday shoes;
- Carbon fibre products have much higher fatigue limits than other materials, i.e. their mechanical properties are reducing less during continued cyclic loading and the products are significantly more durable and stay functional significantly longer;
- Utilizing the pre-preg technology, the weight of the product can be minimized without making any compromises on physical properties of orthosis. Due to the lightness, the orthosis feels natural and the patient does not face discomfort by wearing it;
- All orthoses are produced fully individually, based on the measurements or mold provided by the client. Moreover, the client is free to customize the shape of each orthosis. This way the 100% fit of the final product to the patient’s foot and maximum assist to the patient can be ensured;
- Another big advantage of this technology is possibility to compound the carbon fibres with other materials. This allows us to produce more complicated orthoses that features knee and/or ankle joints from titanium.
What is really special about Ortho Baltic’s pre-preg products: they have attractively nice finish that requires real craftsmanship.
When we receive a digital patient’s data, the scan imported into CAD/CAM systems for mold modeling and later milling by to the CNC 5- axis machine. This modern technology cut the products delivery time.